Tuesday 4 May 2010

Saying Goodbye to Sir H

This blog started when Wiggle arrived here in June 2008. Originally it was meant to keep track of his recovery after he arrived in the care of LRSE&C but as more and more readers kept up with Wiggle's new life, Wiggle's housemates also featured.

I've always tried to be honest about our life, celebrating how rewarding it is to adopt and be loved by a rescue Labrador and those of you who have read from day one will know that we've had some low's too during this time, losing Dolly.

Today is about high's and low's, sadly this time it's to share the news that Sir H will be making his way to Rainbow Bridge tomorrow......













When Sir H arrived in April 2008, I didn't know how old he was, only that he was "around 10 or 11" and had a poorly paw. I didn't know that Sir H would be Master of Glare's, a grumpy old man and yet on other occassions, a cuddle monster.

Over the last few months, Sir H has slowed right down, getting more wobbly on his back legs and unable to use his front leg. Although Sir H can potter around for a short while, he can't go far and in recent weeks, he's had a lump appear and grow on his bad leg.

Sir H is totally unique - the most un-Labrador like Labrador I've ever known. And ever had the pleasure to share my life with. Sir H doesn't play with toys, has very little inclination to run, isn't greedy and at times is fussy about what he eats. But he's just so loveable!

For Sir H, the simple pleasure's in life are the most important. Sniffing the fresh air on a sunny spring day; rolling on the grass, legs waving in the air; wallowing in a nice muddy puddle and when he chooses, having a cuddle. And rolling in snow, as demonstrated in one of my favourite photo's!











Apart from his mobility problems and the lump on his leg, Sir H was unwell in the night with a poorly tummy and it's been heartbreaking to see him trying to go to the toilet but be so unsteady on his feet. My old boy deserves his dignity, and there's a saying: better a day early than a day too late.

I don't think in his mind Sir H has given up, far from it judging by his excitement when I got him a special extra supper of honey roast ham and mini sausages. But his poor old body is just too frail now and I can't let him carry on.

So today we went to see Malcolm our vet and as he said, individually, we may have had options with Sir H's different problems. But the lump on Sir H's leg is attached to the bone so the only option would be amuptation. And that's just not an option. After his bad reaction to anaesthetic last year, Sir H can't have any kind of surgery.

I would love to think that Sir H could be made well again, but I can't risk him becoming so unsteady that he falls down the stairs and stopping him coming up to bed at night would upset him. As it is, I help him up each night and if he wants to go before me, he cries until I help him. I've always believed in quality over quantity and the reality is, Sir H is an old dog. Although his time with us has been short, just over 2 years, I hope that he's been happy, even if he doesn't show it!

Tonight is Sir H's last night with us and we've given him lots of cuddles, lots of kisses and taken him out in the garden so he can roll around in the grass.

Wiggle has been quite unsettled. He worries if I'm upset and I'm sure he senses that all is not well. Sir H was his big brother and I'm sure he will miss him just as much as me.....

13 comments:

Annie said...

Bless you Sir H's mum. I am crying with you as I read your blog. Sir H has always appeared so dignified to my Ma and me. He absolutley dserves his dignity. You are totally right in your judgement. Much kinder and better a day early than a day too late. Bless you. You are with us in our thoughts. You are the kindest of humans we have ever seen. Hugs to you. XXXX

Lou said...

I am so so sorry for all of you, goodbye Sir H you gorgeous , handsome, gentle fellow, I hope you play with my Bracken up there and meet plenty of new friends, rest well and be at peace. All our love and thoughts are with you Wendy. Lou & Tony, Bess, Bella and Mac

Lou said...

I am so so sorry for all of you, goodbye Sir H you gorgeous , handsome, gentle fellow, I hope you play with my Bracken up there and meet plenty of new friends, rest well and be at peace. All our love and thoughts are with you Wendy. Lou & Tony, Bess, Bella and Mac

The Furry Kids said...

We follow you on twitter. Just wanted to stop by and say how sorry we are for your loss. You and Sir H were very blessed to have found each other. Many hugs and soft purrs.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I know firsthand what you're going through. You are a very good person for taking him in the 1st place & I wish you'd had him from the start of his life. And you're a great person for putting his needs 1st too. I wish you & Sir H. great strength.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I know firsthand what you're going through. You are a very good person for taking him in the 1st place & I wish you'd had him from the start of his life. And you're a great person for putting his needs 1st too. I wish you & Sir H. great strength.

Lucy the Lab said...

You are making the right decision even though it's the hardest one to make. We love Sir H & his funny, quirky ways & know you will have many wonderful memories of him to carry you through. Most of all, know that you gave him the best years of his life & made him feel loved; what more could a dog ask for? Bless you, Wendy, we'll be thinking of you tomorrow & will say a prayer for him.
Love, Lucy the Lab & her mom XX

Teagan said...

So sorry that we never got to meet Sir H but we feel like we know him through Wiggle and his blog. We'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Love and hugs from me and mum xx

Melita (Woof Beginnings) said...

Wendy I am so sorry.
I had to make this decision myself last November and I know how hard it is.
You have given Sir H two wonderful years full of love and fun. He couldn't have wished for a better home.
I will be thinking of you all tomorrow.
Hugs to you all.
Melita..x

Pickle's mum said...

Oh how sad. Crying my eyes out here. What a tough decision to have to make. Sending much love to you and your pack tonight. Xxxx

heather said...

We will all be thinking of you tomorrow Wendy.
Safe and gentle journey Sir H, you will be sadly missed and remembered by many of your fans xx
Heather and Woody (Woofbeginnings

FerFer1958 said...

God: "Sir H, what is your last wish in your last hours?... ask anything you want..."
Sir H: "but God... you made my wish come true in April 2008, when I asked to live with the best family in the entire World, that will love me and will help me with all my health problems... I have nothing to ask now... my mom is taking the best decisions for me and I'm at peace with that... decisions made out of love are never wrong".
------------
Wendy, I'm sorry for your lost. Of course you will miss him so you have to keep your self extra-busy with the ones left behind. Extra time in your walks with Wiggle and Sofy, allowing them to sleep in those recently clean bed sheets to make you company and to bother you with that hair.
God bless you and the ones around you for your noble heart.

Unknown said...

On Behalf of Heart of Texas Labrador Rescue and all rescue groups. Thanks for giving Sir H the best home he could have hoped for during his final years amongst us.

He will be made whole again at the Rainbow bridge. He will roll in green grass and swim in warm ponds and run as he once did on this earth.

My beloved Mr Shaq and Ms. Shasta will show him all the great spots to hang out at.

Goodbye Dear friend. **tears**