Tuesday 12 October 2010

Wiggle - Day 845

Last night I was thinking how lucky we were to have watched the owl while we were in the field, so I Googled to see if I could find out what kind of owl it was. My guess is that it was a Barn Owl:






http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/b/barnowl/index.aspx

Obviously there's no way I could take such a fantastic photo so I stole someone else's! They really are beautiful birds to watch and its not the first time I've seen an owl in the area. Last time though I was in the car so it was even better to be able to stand in the field as the light was fading and watch the owl swoop and circle as it hunted.

This evening we walked over to the fields in the hope that we might see the owl again but we didn't see it. We walked a different way but maybe the owl found another area for hunting. Wiggle and Sofy enjoyed themselves though, sniffing around in the field as it got dark!

1 comment:

FerFer1958 said...

laser eyes.... scaaaarrrryyyy!

I heard on TV that one characteristic that the owl has is that produces no noise while flying. Something about the wings and the feathers they have. The thing is that their prey is not capable of listening the owl before they are on top of them. you might need to locate your owl using your eyes only.